/** Google Analytics JavaScript **/

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Learn a new language

www.livemocha.com

It's an interesting concept - free lessons, but you have to 'earn' points - by logging in frequently, and referring people. What intrigues me is the social networking part - find other people who are learning the same language, and use them as language partners.

I'll see if we can try it here with the students to encourage them to learn English. For sure a lot of to-be volunteers will use it for Hindi. A really good friend of mine is using it to learn Russian. I might use it learn Spanish (again).

But do share your observations/lessons with us, to see if it is worth trying out on a big scale.

2 comments:

Jimmy Gambier said...

Hi Ashish,

Glad you enjoy Livemocha. I'm am member of the product management team and it's nice to see you've found many uses for it! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions. Enjoy the cool pictures on your blog as well.

Anonymous said...

Livemocha is a great online language site. I looked into that site a couple months ago and ended up joining. I have also been using www.edufire.com to get some live tutoring sessions via video chat. All others tools are free and you can choose any tutor you want for prices ranging from $10-50/hr.

They also have flashcards, videos, podcasts, blogs,forums, and social networking tools.

If you are interested in trying eduFire out let me know as I think I can set-up a free tutoring session for you. Send me an email. Thanks,
Stephanie
stephanie@edurev.com