/** Google Analytics JavaScript **/

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Of Showmanship, and Hope

First of all - let me make the usual "it's been a long time since I last blogged" apology. It HAS been a while. Believe you me though, it certainly hasn't been dull.

But, in accordance with my belief (now principle?) that everything I have achieved in the last two years (and perhaps most of my life) has been a crime of passion, let me talk about tonight, and let's chew over the abundant food for thought that it has provided.

So we went to see a shrine today. I was told it was a big मेला (fair), and there would be a lot of भीड़ (crowd). It is held only at certain times of the year, so it had to be today. Well, it was enough to convince 18 of us to go there. Now, first we were shown hospitality. Then the usual rounds and special places in the shrine. All very cool and ethnic. And then a long long wait for the special आरती (aarti - worship/ceremony) to be held by the head priest. After a long wait that tested everybody's patience, we finally got to the happenings.

And that's when I believe it pushed many of us out of our comfort zones. There were terminally ill patients being questioned and promised to be healed by the भभूत or the प्रसाद that the Maharaj (priest) gave to the ailing. Followed by the spirits of the possessed women 'dancing'.

Now, I'll leave the interpretation and opinion aside. Maybe it was the late night and thus nothing fazed me. Maybe it didn't faze me because I've developed a very thick skin over the last two years. But, upon retrospect, I came out with two things from there:

1. That shrine offered hope - to the terminally ill, who have gone to all major and minor doctors, is it so bad to come to a place that offers you the hope and promise of a cure by the power of God? Is it bad to share your suffering with other sufferers? Is it bad that you become the focal point of all the people there (at least 1500-2000 today)? Is it bad that suddenly for 5 minutes 2000 men and women suddenly care about your suffering, and WANT to believe that the suffering will end with a cure?

In the business of social change, I know that Hope with a capital H is perhaps paramount to long-term sustainability, both of the social servant and the community member. And Hope with a capital H is what this place offered, without any monetary price in return.

2. The maharaj is a master salesman, who knew that he had the Upper Hand in this game of tradng Hope. From creating the completely confident aura of a definitive cure, to making a religious experience for new comers, to asking those who don't benefit to never come back again, to the sheer showmanship in front of the crowd. It made me WANT to believe. I saw a man convince people that what he was saying is what was ailing them, I saw a man convince people that their pain/problem is where he tells them it pains. In that crowd of people, there was no question at all how the whole place was working: the man was a true leader. Not a manager, but a true leader, whose own followeers reinforced his personal brand.

So with these dreams of Hope, and Sales, I bid you a long overdue शुभरात्रि (good night)

- Ashish


No comments: